Position Title: Grassroot Soccer (GRS) SKILLZ Plus Programme Mentor Coach
The GRS SKILLZ Plus Programme is a structured, 12-session adherence support programme specifically designed for youth living with HIV (YLHIV) aged 10-19. Facilitated by pairs of trained Mentors Coaches who are openly living with HIV, the programme harnesses the power of soccer and play-based learning to cover topics such as HIV Prevention and transmission, antiretroviral treatment (ART) adherence, acceptance, disclosure and healthy relationships in order to build YLHIV’s health and life skills including their sexual & reproductive health & rights knowledge as well as their self-confidence to use it.
The mentor will play an important role to support young people (and their families), promote treatment adherence and help them to build a supportive network.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Actively identify, recruit and enroll YLHIV to participate in the GRS SKILLZ PLUS programme and develop a risk assessment profile for each participant
- Prepare, plan & deliver the 12-weekly interactive group sessions according to the programme’s structured curriculum which includes facilitated group presentations and discussions, role-plays and outdoor, soccer and play-based learning activities
- Actively overcome barriers to enabling family environments for YLHIV by conducting regular home visits in order to engage families and caretakers of YLHIV and assist in facilitating disclosure from youth to parent and or parent to youth
- Ensure successful linkages to youth-friendly health and social services by initiating and following-up on high impact referrals based on the needs identified in each participant’s individual risk assessment and or as a result of challenges / issues which arise during the course of the programme
- Actively build and maintain a strong and supportive peer network that encourages ART adherence, builds a sense of collective agency and provides psychosocial support to YLHIV
- Promote long-term healthy behavior’s by modelling such behavior’s in both your professional and personal life
- Ensure all of the programme’s administrative requirements are duly completed accurately, timeously and in accordance with POPIA including; M&E feedback forms & surveys, timesheets, travel claim forms and participant referral forms
- Actively participate in all team meetings, planning and debriefing sessions with the Programme Manager, M&E and/or GRS programme staff in order to ensure all agreed programme targets and outcomes are met
- Attend in-house or outsourced training programmes or workshops and assist with any other duty as and when required by your Supervisor or Manager
The Mentor Coach must meet the following requirements:
- Be openly living with HIV and willing to share their personal experiences with others
- Be passionate about empowering, mentoring & supporting YLHIV
- Demonstrate a keen interest in sport & able to actively promote healthy living in both your professional and personal life
- Able to work flexible hours including afternoons, early evenings and or on weekends as needed
Suitably qualified candidates wanting to apply must submit the following in order for their application to be considered:
- A cover letter detailing their motivation
- A copy of your CV
Candidates can drop off their applications in person at HACT’s reception during business hours OR submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do NOT apply via Facebook and only apply if you meet the minimum application criteria.
The deadline for applications is 4pm on Monday, the 11th of October 2021.
If you have had no response within two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.