Position Title: Café Manager
The Hillcrest AIDS Centre Trust’s (HACT) Ubuntu Ground Café is a coffee shop with a difference. Established in January 2020, Ubuntu Ground is Hillcrest’s first social enterprise café which in addition to exceptional coffee and delicious meals, provides skills development and training to local, unemployed youth with the aim of helping them gain marketable skills and valuable work experience. Conveniently located in central Hillcrest, HACT’s Ubuntu Ground Café is open 6 days per week and is set within HACT’s beautiful indigenous Plant Nursery.
The Café Manager is responsible for the profitable operation of the Café, managing the day-to-day operations including the training and supervision of both staff and trainees and fostering a warm, welcoming and positive environment where customers can enjoy a total quality experience.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Financial management of the Café, including developing and executing sales plans that are in-line with budgetary goals
- Ensure and is accountable for overall profitability of the Café by growing sales and controlling costs of goods, inventory levels, labour, supplies and expenses
- Develop and implement staff schedules, ensuring good staff coverage across all roles, and according to the needs of the business while maintaining target labour costs
- Performing all POS duties and overseeing all front and back of house functions; including opening and closing procedures, waitering, cooking and coffee making.
- Maintaining proper loss prevention standards, reviewing cash handling procedures, deposits and safe procedures ensuring that cash-ups and stock counting is performed and analyzing daily sales
- Up-to-date capturing of recipes into GAAP system
- Producing weekly reports for evaluation and analysis of gross profit scenarios
- Checking theoretical stock usages from GAAP system to actual stock usage and ensuring stock is kept at the required levels, monitoring and recording stock
- Performing regular and impromptu security checks
- Attending to any complaints and/or OHS issues in a professional and timely manner
- Work closely with HACT’s Marketing & Fundraising department to plan, advertise and communicate all sales promotions, new product information and Cafe’s sales campaigns effectively and in a timely manner
- Identify and oversee staffing, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training needs of both staff and trainees on an on-going basis
- Plans, coordinate and facilitate the on-going training and development of both staff and trainees including sourcing external opportunities to broaden their skills & knowledge base
- Conduct monthly safety meetings ensuring team member compliance in all health & safety initiatives
- Ensure high standards of cleanliness are consistently maintained throughout the Café in all areas including facilities, staff appearance, Café merchandise and equipment
- Liaising with all suppliers, and partners in a professional and timely manner
- Be a passionate role model and act as an ambassador for outstanding customer service at all times
- Be pro-active in improving all aspects of the business and ensure that all team members are committed to upholding the vision and mission of both HACT and the Café at all times
- Engage with customers on a regular basis to gain their feedback and promote the work of HACT’s numerous projects and programmes
The Café Manager must meet the following minimum criteria:
- A minimum of 3 years’ managerial experience within the restaurant and or hospitality industry
- Formal barista training and or in the catering and hospitality industry is highly desirable
- Strong commitment to customer service and promoting HACT’s vision and mission
- Detailed knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of GAAP as well as office computer applications, including Microsoft skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in financial management and oversight
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to handle communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, multi task and be flexible
- Ability to work within a diverse team and adopt HACT’s commitment to shared responsibility and accountability
- Valid driving license
Suitably qualified candidates wanting to apply must submit the following in order for their application to be considered:
- A cover letter detailing their motivation and experience in relation to the role
- A copy of your CV with 3 x contactable references
Candidates can drop off their applications in person at HACT’s reception during business hours OR submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do NOT apply via Facebook and only apply if you meet the minimum application criteria.
The deadline for applications is 4pm on Thursday, the 14th of April 2022.
If you have had no response within two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.