HACT (Hillcrest AIDS Centre Trust) is a registered Non-Profit (NPO Reg. No 005-800) and Public Benefit (PBO No: 130001231) organisation that was founded in 1990 as a ministry of the Hillcrest Methodist Church.
Our mission is to provide unconditional love and hope to all those impacted by HIV/AIDS - unconditional, in that we assist anyone in need regardless of their ethnicity, religion or lifestyle.
Our vision is an AIDS-free South Africa and all our projects and services work towards this dream.
Geographically, HACT focusses on serving the rural and underserved communities of the Valley of 1000 Hills region of South Africa's KwaZulu-Natal province. Here, 1 in 4 (40%) people are currently HIV positive, making the region one of the epicentres of the global HIV/AIDS epidemic.
Our objectives include:
- To comprehensively assess the status and needs of everyone who approaches us for help
- To provide holistic, individualised care for people living with HIV/AIDS
- To economically empower people living with HIV/AIDS so they can adhere to their ARV medication, support themselves and their families and actively contribute to the economic growth and development of their communities and country
- To provide relevant and inspirational HIV/AIDS education and awareness programmes
- To empower and care for at-risk groups– such as orphaned and vulnerable childre and grandmothers
- Through all of the above, provide unconditional love, hope and dignity to those impacted by HIV/AIDS
Our values are:
- Passion: to serve with passion, energy and commitment, always acknowledging the privilege it is to be helping others.
- Faith: seeking to do as Jesus would do: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” NIV John 13: 34-35.
- Integrity: the message and the messenger must be the same, we must practice what we preach and be honest in all things.
- ‘Ubuntu: ‘I am because you are’ – being community driven and constantly aware that our actions impact on those around us and that the sum is always better than the parts.
- Empowerment: helping people to take ownership over their lives