HACT’s seventh annual Gogolympics event is taking place on Friday, the 28th April 2017 at the Molweni Sports Ground. Over 1000 grannies will compete on the day in soccer, netball and other traditional sports and games.
An annual event since 2011, this one-of-a-kind, sporting extravaganza is hosted by HACT’s Gogo Support Groups Programme in partnership with the Department of Sports and Recreation, Department of Health, eThekwini Municipality and The Fishers Net.
Our grannies train year-round in the lead up to the event thus adopting a more active and healthy lifestyle - which not only benefits them, but the many orphaned grandchildren in their care.
The Gogolympics also serves as a platform for selecting participants in the Golden Games - a national sporting competition for our senior citizens and one of the Department of Sports and Recreation’s flagship events.
For photos from our 2016 Gogolympics event please visit our Facebook page.
In addition to our partnersl listed above, our Gogolympics event is made possible thanks to the generous support of the following sponsors:
- Sozo Food - sponsorship of our gogos' breakfast on the day
- GreenHome Food Packaging - sponsorship of 100% biodegradable bowls and spoons for our gogos' breakfast on the day
- aQuelle - sponsorship of 1500 bottles of water to keep our gogos hydrated while they compete in the various sports and games
- Oxford Freshmarket Hillcrest - sponsorship of 250 loaves of bread via Sasko and magarine to make sandwiches for the gogos on the day
- Food Lovers' Market Hillcrest - sponsorship of 1000 pieces of fruit for our gogos' lunch on the day
- The South African Physiotherapy Special Interest Group - sponsorship of sporting equipment to the value of R10 000
- Food For Life - sponsorship of 2000 units of breyani
- Albany - sponsorship of platters for 50 VIPs
There are numerous opportunities available for those that also wish to get involved in our 2017 Gogolymics, please see below for more details...
Sponsorships & Donations Wish List:
We are still appealing for donations or sponsorship of the following items that will be used on the day:
· 1000 x sports drinks
· 5 x large marques
· 500 x plastic chairs
· 10 x large bags of white wash to line the sports fields
· Balloons, string, masking tape, duct tape, garbage bags
· 200 x toilet paper rolls
· 15 x clipboards and pens
· 30 x Gogolympics 2017 t-shirts with HACT logo printed on them for staff/volunteers to wear on the day
· 30 x sunhats/caps for our volunteers to wear on the day
· Sound system
· 1000 x sandwich bags
If you are able to donate or sponsor any of these items, please contact our Marketing & Fundraising Department on 031 765 5866 or via email at email@example.com
Over 200 volunteers are needed for the day. Volunteer roles include everything from setting up, packing lunch bags and serving drinks to transporting goods and marking out the fields. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact our Gogo Support Groups Programme team on 031 765 5866 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend the event:
The Gogolympics is open to the public and is always a fun and memorable day! Please do come along and join us in cheering for your favourite gogos' team!