The Hillcrest AIDS Centre Trust (HACT) is inviting everyone to pledge their 67 minutes in support of those living with HIV/AIDS this Mandela Day! (Wednesday, the 18th July 2018.)
What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” Nelson Mandela
Families, churches and businesses are all invited to lend their support to HACT in the following ways this Mandela Day..
Things to do at our centre / community-based projects:
Donate 67 minutes of your time and come volunteer at our Centre (26 Old Main Road, Hillcrest) between 8am and 4pm:
- Painting – help us with some quick painting tasks around the centre or help our grannies paint the new crèche they have built in KwaNyuswa! (Paint sponsorship also required!)
- Green-fingered? Volunteer in our Plant Nursery and see how much weeding or potting you can help our team do in 67 minutes or, come assist at one of our granny-run community vegetable gardens in the Valley
- Make beaded bracelets to sell in our Woza Moya shops (our staff will show you how!)
- Help sort donated clothing for our Clothing Scheme and help local women who are the breadwinners for their young families
- Bring your friends, families or colleagues to have a HIV test. It costs just R20 and takes roughly 20 minutes per person
- Donate much needed items for our Respite Unit patients from our wishlist especially toiletries and sanitary pads which are urgently needed
- Got an energetic group and some extra time to spare? Get a work team together and help us uplift a crèche, school or children’s home. HACT works in partnership with many community-based organisations and we can help facilitate these projects so please let us know if you looking for a community-based activity…
NB Don’t forget the HACT team will be offering free talks and tours at its centre on Mandela Day so bring your family, friends and colleagues and come find out who we are, what we do and how you can get more involved!
Things to do at home / at school / at work
- Get a head start on your Spring cleaning and donate your second hand clothing to HACT’s Clothing Scheme
- Donate your second hand household items to HACT’s White Elephant Thrift Store
- Bake cupcakes and drop them off at our centre for the patients in our 24-bed Respite Unit or hold a 67 minute bake sale at your work to raise funds for HACT
- Clean out your offices and donate your second hand files, folders and stationary to HACT for use in our offices and for art therapy sessions with our patients
- Collect and drop-off your used milk cartons, coke bottles and glass bottles for use in HACT’s Upcycled Art Centre
- Make a donation - R67 / R670 / R6700 - every cent counts and will help us make a difference in the lives of those in need
- Take up our Mandela Day Sticker Challenge and help us raise funds for our Respite Unit which provides life-saving care to adults and children suffering from advanced stages of AIDS and or cancer…
HACT’s Mandela Day Sticker Challenge
Pledge your support for an AIDS-free South Africa and at the same time, help us raise much needed funds for our 24-bed Respite Unit!
Get your Mandela Day stickers for just R10 each! Stickers are available to purchase from our Centre or from any of our three Woza Moya shops.
Each sticker sold helps to saves lives, every donation and act of kindness brings life, health and joy to the many children and adults who are cared for in our 24-bed Respite Unit.
Take up our Sticker Challenge!
- From now until Mandela Day (18th July 2018) you, your company, church or school can also take part in our Sticker Challenge to raise awareness and support for our Respite Unit.
- Challenge yourself and your family, friends or colleagues to sell as many stickers as possible in the lead up to Mandela Day or in 67 minutes on the day!
- It’s up to you how sell them, just be sure to capture your creativity and post on Facebook and Twitter with #MandelaDay #67MinutesForHACT
For more information or if you have your own ideas you’d like to discuss with us, please contact HACT’s Marketing and Fundraising Department on 031 765 5866 / firstname.lastname@example.org
HACT can also help boost your company’s B-BBEE scorecard through SED, CSI and Enterprise Development spend opportunities. We are a B-BBEE Level 1 organisation. 100% of our beneficiaries are black, rural and over 75% are black women.
As a registered PBO, HACT can also issue your company with a Section 18A tax certificate for your B-BBBEE contribution. If you would like additional information or to discuss these opportunities further, please contact HACT’s Marketing & Fundraising Manager, Claire Hodgkinson on 031 765 5866 / email@example.com.