“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela
Mandela Day calls on us all, every day, to make the world a better place…
This Mandela Day (Thursday, 18th July 2019), HACT is inviting everyone to help us make the world a better place by giving just 67 minutes of service in support of those impacted by HIV/AIDS.
HACT is inviting people, families, churches and businesses to engage in the following ways on Mandela Day:
- Buy your Mandela Day sticker for just R10 each at the HACT centre and show the world you care this Mandela Day!
- Spend 67 minutes gardening with our gogos in the Valley of 1000 Hills. HACT’s gogos currently run over 30 community-based vegetable gardens which help feed over 4000 people every month. Donations of seedlings & gardening tools are welcome!
- Donate 67 minutes of your time to volunteer at our centre (26 Old Main Road, Hillcrest) between 8am and 4pm. You can help in our plant nursery with weeding, potting and watering, or volunteer alongside our Woza Moya project team that supports over 1500 local crafters every month.
- Help us raise much needed funds for our projects by hosting a 67 minute cake sale or coffee morning with your friends, family or colleagues.
- Spend the 67 minutes sorting through your wardrobe and then dropping off any unwanted second hand clothing which will be distributed through our Clothing Scheme which provides an income for over 30 local women and their families.
- Spend the 67 minutes going through your house and collecting any unwanted items – furniture, toys, curtains, crockery, cutlery, kitchenware – anything! Drop it off at our centre and it will be sold in our White Elephant Thrift shop to raise additional income for our community-based projects.
- Come volunteer for 67 minutes in our Respite Unit by cooking and serving breakfast, morning tea, lunch, or afternoon tea to our 24 patients. (pre-booking is essential!)
- Spend the 67 minutes going to the shops and purchasing canned foods or non-perishable items or toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, tissues, adult nappies, soap, moisturizer, deodorant) to donate to our Respite Unit patients.
- Make a donation of R67 or R670 or R6700 towards our life-saving and life-changing projects.
- Bring your friends, families or colleagues to the Centre to have a HIV test. It is free and takes roughly 20 minutes per person. We would like to reach the target of 67 tests on the day.
- Get a work team together and volunteer in the community for 67 minutes painting a crèche, school or children’s home. HACT works in partnership with many community based organisations and we can facilitate these projects on your behalf.
As Mandela said: “It is in your hands to make a difference.” So pledge your support to HACT this Mandela Day and help us make a meaningful difference in the lives of local people in need!
For more info please contact HACT’s Marketing and Fundraising team on email@example.com / 031 765 5866.